|Title:||Topic Webs in Project Work: Part 2—Organizing the Children’s Web|
|Spanish Version:||Las redes de temas en el trabajo de proyectos. Parte 2: Organizar la red de los niños
|Source of Publisher:||Illinois Early Learning Project
|Length of article:||Medium
|Setting for which the article is intended:||● Family Child Care
● Child Care Center
● Preschool Program
|Intended Audience:||● Teachers/Caregivers
|Keywords:||● Classroom Activities
● Project Approach
(the age of the children to whom the article applies).
|● Preschoolers (Age 3 Through Age 5)
|Learning Areas:||● LANGUAGE ARTS
● SOCIAL STUDIES
● SOCIAL/EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT
● PROJECT APPROACH
|Goals:||1. Demonstrate increasing competence in oral communication (listening and speaking).
2. Demonstrate understanding and enjoyment of literature.
4. Demonstrate increasing awareness of and competence in emergent reading skills and abilities.
5. Demonstrate increasing awareness of and competence in emergent writing skills and abilities.
6. Demonstrate and apply a knowledge and sense of numbers, including numeration and operations.
8. Identify and describe common attributes, patterns, and relationships in objects.
10. Begin to make predictions and collect data information.
11. Demonstrate curiosity about the world and begin to use the practices of science and engineering to answer questions and solve problems.
14. Understand some concepts related to citizenship.
30. Develop self-management skills to achieve school and life success and develop positive relationships with others.
31. Use social-awareness and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain positive relationships.
32. Demonstrate decision-making skills and behaviors in personal, school, and community contexts.
|Learning Standards:||1.A. Demonstrate understanding through age-appropriate responses.
1.B. Communicate effectively using language appropriate to the situation and audience.
2.C. Recognize concepts of books.
4.A. Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print.
5.C. Use writing to research and share knowledge.
8.A. Explore objects and patterns.
10.B. Organize and describe data and information.
11.A. Develop beginning skills in the use of science and engineering practices, such as observing, asking questions, solving problems, and drawing conclusions.
14.A. Understand what it means to be a member of a group and community.
14.D. Understand the role that individuals can play in a group or community.
30.A. Identify and manage one’s emotions and behavior.
30.C. Demonstrate skills related to successful personal and school outcomes.
31.A. Develop positive relationships with peers and adults.
32.B. Apply decision-making skills to deal responsibly with daily academic and social situations.
|Benchmarks:||1.A.ECa. Follow simple one-, two- and three-step directions.
1.A.ECb. Respond appropriately to questions from others.
1.A.ECc. Provide comments relevant to the context.
1.B.ECa. Use language for a variety of purposes.
1.B.ECb. With teacher assistance, participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners (e.g., peers and adults in both small and large groups) about age-appropriate topics and texts.
1.B.ECc. Continue a conversation through two or more exchanges.
2.C.ECa. Interact with a variety of types of texts (e.g., storybooks, poems, rhymes, songs).
4.A.ECc. Recognize the one-to-one relationship between spoken and written words.
5.C.ECa. Participate in group projects or units of study designed to learn about a topic of interest.
8.A.ECa. Sort, order, compare, and describe objects according to characteristics or attribute(s).
10.B.ECa. Organize, represent, and analyze information using concrete objects, pictures, and graphs, with teacher support.
11.A.ECa. Express wonder and curiosity about their world by asking questions, solving problems, and designing things.
14.A.ECa. Recognize the reasons for rules in the home and early childhood environment and for laws in the community.
14.D.ECb. Participate in a variety of roles in the early childhood environment.
30.A.ECb. Use appropriate communication skills when expressing needs, wants, and feelings.
30.C.ECb. Demonstrate persistence and creativity in seeking solutions to problems.
31.A.ECb. Recognize the feelings and perspectives of others.
32.B.ECa. Participate in discussions about finding alternative solutions to problems.